Professional Experience | Education | Presentations: see Speaking | Awards & Certificates | Service & Volunteer
I speak on the connection between creativity and spirituality to community and church groups, women's retreats, leadership seminars and conference participants. My books include "60-Second Sanctuary: Become more creative in the next 40 days" and "Creative Women's Devotional: 28 reflections for Christian knitters & crocheters."
At Mizzou, I earned my master's degree in education: information science and learning technologies.
As a professional communicator in the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources (CAFNR) at Mizzou, I oversee content on websites that reach a 100,000+ audience. I grew our social media presence to 4,500+ followers in Facebook and 4,000+ on Twitter. I craft messages and execute campaigns for social media, tailoring them for the audience and goals.
As a current Toastmaster's member, I credit my local Downtown Toastmasters club with strengthening my public speaking abilities since I joined in 2012. If you're in the Columbia, Missouri, area, I invite you to visit our Thursday lunch meeting as a guest.
- Building relationships with clients and colleagues based on a mutual sense of purpose
- Writing, editing and proofreading
- Public speaking, training and teaching
- Creating and implementing social media campaigns
- Championing branding and identity standards
- Developing higher education web content strategy; experience with WordPress and web accessiblity
Web & Social Media Strategist, 2014-present
University of Missouri, College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
Title changed from Senior Multimedia Specialist, 2011-2014
Promoted from I-Net Administrator-Specialist, 2007-2011
Promoted from I-Net Administrator-Entry, 2006-2007
Working as part of the CAFNR Marketing and Communications Team, I develop content strategy and plans for the college websites and social media accounts. I keep the sites up-to-date so they remain relevant and meaningful. I implement the tactics from college-wide initiatives and the strategic plan. I evaluate the impact of our communications efforts and make recommendations based on research, past performance, best practices and emerging trends. Acting as a consultant for communicators in the divisions, I offer training and brainstorming.
- 10+ years developing web content strategy and managing websites for the college
- 10+ years developing social media strategy and managing social media for the college
- Master’s degree
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Experience with static HTML and content management systems including WordPress
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and coordinate projects; Strong teamwork skills
- Excellent communications skills in editing, writing and public speaking
- Experience with grammar and AP style
- Familiar with Google Analytics
- Experience working with higher education and university audiences
- Familiar with photography and design
- Experience developing editorial calendars for web and social media
- Experience with website development from conception to launch
- High attention to detail; able to organize and synthesize information
- Develop content based on audience and goals of college
- Make daily updates to websites; Write, edit, research and proofread content for websites
- Develop and execute the social media presence for the college
- Serve as a gatekeeper for the websites, ensuring they meet the university guidelines for brand identity and accessibility
- Support my manager and teammates on college-level initiatives and office projects
- Organize projects
- Coordinate resources and set daily priorities to meet college goals
- Develop editorial calendar
- Meet with internal clients and communicate with them effectively
- Evaluate impact of online efforts; Make recommendations
- Consult on websites and social media
- Optimize content for mobile and SEO
- Research trends in web and social media
- Troubleshoot problems
University of Missouri, College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
- Taught undergraduate university course in Communicating on the Web for Science and Agricultural Journalism Program. Course number: SCI_AG_J 3240
- Hybrid course using face-to-face instruction with online learning. Developed presentations, course materials and grading rubrics.
Master's degree in Education
Focus on Educational Technology: Learning Systems Design & Development, University of Missouri. Final GPA 4.0/4.0, May 2008.
Bachelor of Arts in Language Studies
Emphasis in French, University of California-Santa Cruz, 1992.
Awards and Certificates
- 2020 Celebration of Excellence Outstanding Staff Award, award bio, Mizzou College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, November 2020.
- 15 Years of Service, University of Missouri, October 2019.
- Second Place, Division E 2017 International Speech Contest, Toastmasters, May 2017.
- First Place, Area 7 International Speech Contest, Toastmasters, April 2017.
- MU Staff Advisory Council Education Award, University of Missouri, 2017, to study ES&CP 7200: Introduction to Positive Psychology . Positive psychology is the scientific study of how individuals can increase their well-being and how institutions can foster strong communities.
- Third Place, District 8 (Eastern Missouri and Southwestern Illinois) 2016 Table Topics Contest, Toastmasters, November 2016.
- First Place, Division E 2016 Table Topics Contest, Toastmasters, October 2016.
- Red Stapler Best-of-Track, HighEdWeb Association, October 2016. At HighEdWeb annual conferences, the organization awards the best session in each track the coveted Red Stapler Award. My session, in the Management and Professional Development track, was titled "Explain Your Work! 5 Public Speaking Skills You Can Learn Now."
- Advanced Communicator Bronze (ACB), Downtown Toastmasters, January 2016.
- CAFNR Staff Development Staff Enrichment Award, MU College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Staff Council, June 2014, to take Blog-to-Book course with Nina Amir. I successfully self-published my book, Creative Women's Devotional, as a result of this award.
- Competent Communicator and Competent Leader, Downtown Toastmasters, 2013.
- 2012-2013 Participant: Chancellor's Emerging Leaders Program, University of Missouri.
News story: Learning Leadership: CAFNR web professional uses opportunities at MU to grow
- 2012 Winner for Website: CAFNR Web Redesign (cafnr.missouri.edu), National Agricultural Alumni & Development Association (NAADA).
- Professional Staff Development Grant Award, MU College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Staff Council, October 2010.
- Above and Beyond Award, MU College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Staff Council, November 2008.
- SANS GIAC Web Application Security Certificate, June 28, 2007.
- Staff Development Award, University of Missouri, 2006, to attend National Educational Computing Conference (NECC).
Service and Volunteer Work
- Workshop Facilitator, Writing, Annual Women's Retreat, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 (Zoom event, I wrote materials for the retreat handbook in collaboration with my co-facilitator, Resa Kerns) Broadway Christian Church
- Keynote Speaker, Annual Women's Retreat, 2019 Broadway Christian Church
- President, Downtown Toastmasters Club #1119527, Spring term, March-June 2017
- Pet Blessing Committee Member, 2012 to present, Broadway Christian Church
- Improving CAFNR for the Family Committee Member, CAFNR, 2014 to 2016
- MU IT Transition Project (ITTP), Web Standards Subcommittee Member & Web Accessibility Workgroup Member, 2015 to 2016
- Spiritual Ministry Volunteer, 2012 to 2016
- Shared Leave Policy Committee Member, University of Missouri, 2014
- Facilitator, Spiritual Writing, Sunday Morning Adult Class, 2014, Broadway Christian Church
- Vice President of Public Relations, Downtown Toastmasters Club #1119527, Spring term, January-June 2013
- Vice President of Education, Downtown Toastmasters Club #1119527, Fall term, July-December 2012
- Branding Committee Member, 2010, and Communications Committee Member, 2010-2011, Broadway Christian Church